My passport stayed tucked away with me as I re-entered the United States via Honolulu. I spent most of my month exploring all there was to do in Oahu and The Big Island, attempting to complete all major hikes while staying in Oahu.
What a ride this month has been!!!
3 nights in Sydney, Australia
2 nights in North Shore, Oahu
20 nights in Kailua/Honolulu, Oahu
4 nights in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
2 nights in Seattle, Washington
- Cage-less snorkeling with sharks in Oahu certainly tops my list. I certainly had problems regulating my breathing, but overall had an absolute blast with Galapagos and Sand Bar Sharks just feet from my body. Shout-out to Island View Hawaii for the awesome tour. 10/10 would recommend
- Climbing 3,922 Stairs to the top of the Stairway to Heaven was legit. See also: illegal. I risked a $1000 citation for the view. Worth it? Yeah, I think so. Stay tuned for a hint on how to climb safely without issue.
- Hanging out at Sacred Falls National Park was also a dangerously sexy hike. Another $2500 citation was risked in order to get the views I was seeking. Another dangerous hike I shouldn’t necessarily be recommending to anyone.
- Snorkeling at Sharks Cove within inches of sea turtles was exhilarating
- Watching my friends, Gabe and Heidi, ‘get hitched’ on the Big Island
- Rising before sunrise to view first lights from the top of the Olomana Peaks was not only satisfying, but I witnessed a sunrise so warm, I swore it was perfect. The Olomana hike was by far my favorite *legal* hike I completed this month!
- Visiting the Koala park in Sydney: petting and feeding koalas and kangaroos was an awesome experience. The kangaroos were mellow and quite lazy- chewing the snacks and allowing themselves to be pet. The ‘roos were napping in the sun and looking quite content!
- Discovering that the “Dead Man’s Catwalk” had been torn out by the construction crew in Oahu was highly disheartening.
- Leaving Sydney without summiting a peak in the Blue Mountains left me unable to fulfill my goal of climbing 1 mountain per country I visit along this World Tour. Rats!!
- Stressing out due to my blatant disregard for certain laws while in Oahu left me unable to sleep well. I’m just a worry wart!
I’m still planning on heading on my third USA roadtrip this summer, but I have also decided that I’ll be traveling to Thailand in November rather than October as originally planned. There are some other items in the works that I can’t wait to leak when ready……
Besides the Great USA Roadtrip, I’ll be making a few inner-USA flights out to South Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania and down to California. In addition, I am looking into visiting both B.C. as well as finalizing a camping trip to Moraine Lake in Alberta, Canada.
Stay tuned for more adventures- it’s only getting radder from here!